Skip to main content

Challenges and Opportunities

One of my biggest challenges here is not having the space to let my guard down. I find it exhausting keeping my emotions to myself and for the most part I do a pretty good job at keeping them at arms’ length so I don’t get swallowed whole by them and I don’t spill them into community life. It feels pretty selfish of me to let this get to me but in many ways the whole point of community life is to support each other with those things which is probably why there are ongoing discussions as to whether to call this a ‘community’ or not.

My problem seems to be that when I feel completely powerless that guard slips and the smallest of things will spark a torrent of emotion over something that is actually very small. Part of me know that this is not healthy means of existence at all (all of that has to go somewhere and if you’re a bottler and have been telling yourself to let something go for so long eventually that bottle will explode when it reaches tipping point) and the other part knows that guard needs to stay in place so that I can actually do my job effectively.

Because I live and work in the same place everyone sees everything. All of the things that mean I can maintain an effective, professional outlook at work get put to one side because there is no separation and no other outlet for things. I also struggle to make close friends easily and build the kind of relationships where people know there are times I need to go ‘argh!’ and have a hug before I can be my normal, rational self.

I have another five weeks to go before I leave here and I have no plan. That’s sort of ok for the moment but really stresses me out long term. I don’t enjoy being bored at work and the last time I was unemployed I signed on as a temp in a variety of places. Some of it was really interesting and gave me great insight into how other businesses and organisations work but some of it was so dull I actually started clock watching. It did help me earn some money though and was much better than sitting at home doing nothing at all.

The good thing is I don’t need to have a plan, something will come up and I’m exploring lots of different options. I’m getting interviews when I apply for jobs, I’m just bad at selling myself in person at the interview so it’s easy to identify where I’ve been falling short and now I can do something about that. Every rejection means that there’s something else out there that will suit me much better and that will challenge me in a different way. I just have to go out and find it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger and exhaustion

I. Am. Enraged. I am exhausted. I tried to take a break from Twitter over the last week as I just couldn't do it any more. The outpouring of rage and grief from women from a lifetime of fear, or of learning to fear, just got to me. Every time these kinds of outpourings happen it is an emotional load that spills over into everything else, and over the last few years we've had so many of them. It wasn't really until female colleagues at work began to check in with each other that I realised that I wasn't ok. I am so, so angry about the murder of Sarah Everard. But it wasn't really about her. It was about her being murdered on her walk home. Like so many women, I have experienced sexual harrassment walking down the street, been leered at and jeered at while cycling around, had men grope me on public transport and in clubs, and sat frozen for fear something might happen, even when it didn't.  For those of us who have been working from home for the last year, those w

Peace and Quiet

Peace and Quiet.  That's basically what my last two and a half weeks have been about. I left Corrymeela on 30 September and came to stay at my dad's house for a bit. It hasn't been exciting or eventful and that was the point. I've been alone for a good chunk of that time and it's been really nice to have that space. I must be more introverted than I realised but having spent two years surrounded by people at work and at home (since they're the same place) it's been pretty refreshing to have the run of a house with no-one but the dog for a bit of company. That, and a double bed all to myself. I've made the occasional foray into civilisation but on the whole enjoyed the down time. I've been applying for jobs and researching a lot and figured out more about where I'd like to go next. I've also watched a considerable amount of TV (less productive but needs must) I'm ok with not knowing where exactly that is but have a general idea of t

Hospitality Culture

--> One of the notable aspects of living in Bangladesh is the hospitality culture. Everyone we meet is incredibly welcoming and friendly. If we are walking around with a Bangladeshi man and he spies someone he knows, the three of us are always introduced to this ‘intimate friend’ even if this person is a mere acquaintance. If we also happen to be near a tea stall, we are almost always invited to come and take tea and talk about how we find beautiful Bangladesh, Bengali dress, Bengali food, and whether we are married or not. At the tea stall, it’s either rang cha (wrong cha - tea without milk) or dudh cha (dude cha – tea with condensed milk) both with plenty of sugar. It’s quite enjoyable sitting there with a nice glass of tea but sometimes I do wish we got bigger cups! If we visit each other’s host homes, food will almost always be offered, even it’s just fruit and biscuits. On hot days, our host mum will fetch someone to climb a tree to g