Skip to main content

On religion (but mostly Christianity)

Let me start by saying that I do not consider myself a religious person and therefore my musings on the subject can obviously be taken with as many pinches of salt as you would like. For the last two years however I have been living and working at a Christian centre. I grew up with religion and over the past few years have lived with two other families, one with a Hindu temple in their front yard, and one where the Orthodox Bishop came round for tea on a regular basis.

Despite having been around religion most of my life, or perhaps because of it, I became increasingly angry and frustrated with any form of organised religion. I grew up a Jehovah's Witness and to me religion became a way of holding me back. It was a way of saying you can't do this or that because God/the Elders wouldn't like it, because you're a girl, or because we are 'no part of this world'. I can't pinpoint exactly when I decided all of this was sanctimonious crap but I quietly stopped going at around the age of 12 or 13.

It's taken me a long time to come around to the idea of religion again and to overcome my initial dread of working within an organisation with an explicitly Christian ethos. The organisation itself is often criticised for not being Christian enough (or too Christian for others) but has healed something in me that I didn't even realise was in need of repair. I didn't 'find God' and I'm not planning to attend church services any time soon but I met a lot of people who showed me how genuinely open and welcoming religion can be. They helped me realise that religion is simply another way to discovering how to live rightly in the world, how to welcome others and form community, how to listen from within, and how to engage with and reform injustice in the world. You don't have to believe it's God's will or follow Jesus's teachings to do any of those things but to me, that is what is at the heart of religion.

I am not a theologian (though I now know a surprising number) but I have become far more confident at having engaged discussions and arguments with people who claim knowledge of biblical texts. It's making living at home a little challenging through constant discussions around engaging in the political, homosexuality (and bisexuality come to that), blood donation, the role of women, and sex amongst other things. I admit I'm a little tired of having these same debates. I remain unconvinced and find the arguments increasingly fatuous and illogical, but am trying to remain engaged to see if we might find some common ground somewhere.

Community is still at the heart of what this is about for this family member and I can see the difference having this makes in her life. I just dislike the unnecessary judgement that seems to come with that and hope that this doesn't rub off on me again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger and exhaustion

I. Am. Enraged. I am exhausted. I tried to take a break from Twitter over the last week as I just couldn't do it any more. The outpouring of rage and grief from women from a lifetime of fear, or of learning to fear, just got to me. Every time these kinds of outpourings happen it is an emotional load that spills over into everything else, and over the last few years we've had so many of them. It wasn't really until female colleagues at work began to check in with each other that I realised that I wasn't ok. I am so, so angry about the murder of Sarah Everard. But it wasn't really about her. It was about her being murdered on her walk home. Like so many women, I have experienced sexual harrassment walking down the street, been leered at and jeered at while cycling around, had men grope me on public transport and in clubs, and sat frozen for fear something might happen, even when it didn't.  For those of us who have been working from home for the last year, those w

Peace and Quiet

Peace and Quiet.  That's basically what my last two and a half weeks have been about. I left Corrymeela on 30 September and came to stay at my dad's house for a bit. It hasn't been exciting or eventful and that was the point. I've been alone for a good chunk of that time and it's been really nice to have that space. I must be more introverted than I realised but having spent two years surrounded by people at work and at home (since they're the same place) it's been pretty refreshing to have the run of a house with no-one but the dog for a bit of company. That, and a double bed all to myself. I've made the occasional foray into civilisation but on the whole enjoyed the down time. I've been applying for jobs and researching a lot and figured out more about where I'd like to go next. I've also watched a considerable amount of TV (less productive but needs must) I'm ok with not knowing where exactly that is but have a general idea of t

Hospitality Culture

--> One of the notable aspects of living in Bangladesh is the hospitality culture. Everyone we meet is incredibly welcoming and friendly. If we are walking around with a Bangladeshi man and he spies someone he knows, the three of us are always introduced to this ‘intimate friend’ even if this person is a mere acquaintance. If we also happen to be near a tea stall, we are almost always invited to come and take tea and talk about how we find beautiful Bangladesh, Bengali dress, Bengali food, and whether we are married or not. At the tea stall, it’s either rang cha (wrong cha - tea without milk) or dudh cha (dude cha – tea with condensed milk) both with plenty of sugar. It’s quite enjoyable sitting there with a nice glass of tea but sometimes I do wish we got bigger cups! If we visit each other’s host homes, food will almost always be offered, even it’s just fruit and biscuits. On hot days, our host mum will fetch someone to climb a tree to g