Skip to main content

Election fever

It's slightly less than two months to go until the UK general election and I'm already a little obsessed with the ups and downs. It helps that I get to keep track of things for work as well. (If you're interested try www.quakervote.org.uk)

There are several interesting factors about this election. For a start we know the exact date whereas in the past, elections usually happened every 4-5 years, and we wouldn't know the date until the Prime Minister asked the Queen to dissolve Parliament, at which point purdah would begin and the date would be set. In 2011 the Fixed-term Parliament Act provided for fixed-term parliaments of five years in length, unless a vote of no confidence in the government is passed, or the House of Commons votes to hold an election with a two-thirds majority. It'll be interesting to see what the long-term effects of fixing the duration of Parliament will be; it has been suggested that knowing the date of the election has meant that politicians are electioneering much earlier and that the business of the House has stagnated, although this may also have been a fixture of elections coming up to the fifth year of a term.

The other fascinating aspect of this election is that it's almost a certainty that there'll be some form of coalition government after 7 May. The election is therefore more about the general direction of travel rather than specific policies, although election manifestos will be released after 30 March (the date of dissolution). So far, the mainstream parties have been using the politics of fear in an attempt to prevent people voting for their smaller rivals.

Like many people of my generation, I don't feel loyalty to a particular political party despite having strong political views. I do, however, know who I won't be voting for. Lots of research has been done on the reasons that people vote the way do, and whilst there's lots of talk about tactical voting, people tend to vote either on the specific policies the party would implement in government, or they vote to send a message about the sort of society they want to live in (more on The Spectator blog).

Personally, I'm pretty torn. I don't like the current direction of this government or the rising inequality in society, but I'm not yet convinced by the direction or the policies of the parties I'm considering and my heart and head are split on the issues. Good job I'm helping to organise hustings so I'll be able to figure out in person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger and exhaustion

I. Am. Enraged. I am exhausted. I tried to take a break from Twitter over the last week as I just couldn't do it any more. The outpouring of rage and grief from women from a lifetime of fear, or of learning to fear, just got to me. Every time these kinds of outpourings happen it is an emotional load that spills over into everything else, and over the last few years we've had so many of them. It wasn't really until female colleagues at work began to check in with each other that I realised that I wasn't ok. I am so, so angry about the murder of Sarah Everard. But it wasn't really about her. It was about her being murdered on her walk home. Like so many women, I have experienced sexual harrassment walking down the street, been leered at and jeered at while cycling around, had men grope me on public transport and in clubs, and sat frozen for fear something might happen, even when it didn't.  For those of us who have been working from home for the last year, those w

Peace and Quiet

Peace and Quiet.  That's basically what my last two and a half weeks have been about. I left Corrymeela on 30 September and came to stay at my dad's house for a bit. It hasn't been exciting or eventful and that was the point. I've been alone for a good chunk of that time and it's been really nice to have that space. I must be more introverted than I realised but having spent two years surrounded by people at work and at home (since they're the same place) it's been pretty refreshing to have the run of a house with no-one but the dog for a bit of company. That, and a double bed all to myself. I've made the occasional foray into civilisation but on the whole enjoyed the down time. I've been applying for jobs and researching a lot and figured out more about where I'd like to go next. I've also watched a considerable amount of TV (less productive but needs must) I'm ok with not knowing where exactly that is but have a general idea of t

Hospitality Culture

--> One of the notable aspects of living in Bangladesh is the hospitality culture. Everyone we meet is incredibly welcoming and friendly. If we are walking around with a Bangladeshi man and he spies someone he knows, the three of us are always introduced to this ‘intimate friend’ even if this person is a mere acquaintance. If we also happen to be near a tea stall, we are almost always invited to come and take tea and talk about how we find beautiful Bangladesh, Bengali dress, Bengali food, and whether we are married or not. At the tea stall, it’s either rang cha (wrong cha - tea without milk) or dudh cha (dude cha – tea with condensed milk) both with plenty of sugar. It’s quite enjoyable sitting there with a nice glass of tea but sometimes I do wish we got bigger cups! If we visit each other’s host homes, food will almost always be offered, even it’s just fruit and biscuits. On hot days, our host mum will fetch someone to climb a tree to g