Skip to main content

Challenges and Opportunities

One of my biggest challenges here is not having the space to let my guard down. I find it exhausting keeping my emotions to myself and for the most part I do a pretty good job at keeping them at arms’ length so I don’t get swallowed whole by them and I don’t spill them into community life. It feels pretty selfish of me to let this get to me but in many ways the whole point of community life is to support each other with those things which is probably why there are ongoing discussions as to whether to call this a ‘community’ or not.

My problem seems to be that when I feel completely powerless that guard slips and the smallest of things will spark a torrent of emotion over something that is actually very small. Part of me know that this is not healthy means of existence at all (all of that has to go somewhere and if you’re a bottler and have been telling yourself to let something go for so long eventually that bottle will explode when it reaches tipping point) and the other part knows that guard needs to stay in place so that I can actually do my job effectively.

Because I live and work in the same place everyone sees everything. All of the things that mean I can maintain an effective, professional outlook at work get put to one side because there is no separation and no other outlet for things. I also struggle to make close friends easily and build the kind of relationships where people know there are times I need to go ‘argh!’ and have a hug before I can be my normal, rational self.

I have another five weeks to go before I leave here and I have no plan. That’s sort of ok for the moment but really stresses me out long term. I don’t enjoy being bored at work and the last time I was unemployed I signed on as a temp in a variety of places. Some of it was really interesting and gave me great insight into how other businesses and organisations work but some of it was so dull I actually started clock watching. It did help me earn some money though and was much better than sitting at home doing nothing at all.

The good thing is I don’t need to have a plan, something will come up and I’m exploring lots of different options. I’m getting interviews when I apply for jobs, I’m just bad at selling myself in person at the interview so it’s easy to identify where I’ve been falling short and now I can do something about that. Every rejection means that there’s something else out there that will suit me much better and that will challenge me in a different way. I just have to go out and find it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Value of Freedom

After a morning of training in child protection and security we visited the Museum of Independence. It was a moving exhibition following the history of Bangladesh from British Raj to independence from Pakistan in 1971. Once again I was reminded why we should cover the history of British colonialism in school. As a nation we have such an over inflated sense of ourselves that we forget the horrors of what was done in our name in the past. It is quite shocking to be reminded of things that your country has done that are simply glossed over a lot of the time. Things that are still in living memory for many people. The list of political prisoners hanged after having been tortured is only one of many examples on display at the museum. Other countries across the world have lists equally as long I'm sure. As another volunteer put it "it's a wonder anyone still talks to us" The majority of the museum covers the period following partition to independence. A quick recap: Ba...

Restart and Recharge

I was recently set the challenge of restarting my blog so here we are. Restarted. Things have changed a little since I last wrote this. Not overly much though admittedly. I am still volunteering at Corrymeela albeit in a slightly different role now. People have asked me what the heck I’m still doing here and plenty of people joke that I’m clearly incapable of leaving. Maybe that’s true and maybe it isn’t. The important thing is that I’m here because I want to be. Not because I couldn’t find anything else or that this is a stopgap but because it’s the right place for me to be right now. Summer is here again and with that comes new faces and familiar ones. Both faces breathe new life into community and work and the sense that we’re all doing this together is recharged. It’s also a challenging time of year as our groups stay for longer periods, there are more people around and the One Year Volunteers are beginning to think about goodbyes. Lots of emotions all round. This yea...